In Belgium, the clubs of the top division only enter the Cup competition in the round of 32. Moreover, they enjoy a protected status in this phase of the competition: first-division clubs can't be drawn against each other.
Still, the round of 32 saw 2 major surprises. Zulte-Waregem were ousted by third-division White Star Woluwe (2-1) while Sint-Truiden were stunned by second-division Doornik (2-1).
Champions Anderlecht were lucky to escape against third-division URS Centre. After 90 minutes, the score was level at 2-all. In extra time, Anderlecht were not able to make the difference and penalties would decide on the outcome. Anderlecht players kept cool and won the series 4-1 (photo: Anderlecht striker Romelu Lukaku celebrates after taking the winning penalty).
Cup holders AA Gent posted a comfortable win against second-division Tienen (4-1). Midfielder Tim Smolders scored two goals.
Cup results (teams advancing in bold):
- KV Kortrijk - Virton (III) 2-1
- Charleroi - Waasland-Beveren (II) 1-2
- AA Gent - Tienen (II) 4-1
- Lille (IV) - Cercle Brugge 0-4
- RC Genk - Coxyde (III) 3-0
- KV Mechelen - Waregem (III) 7-0
- Eupen - Turnhout (II) 2-1
- Westerlo - Roeselare (II) 2-1
- Doornik (II) - Sint-Truiden 2-1
- G.Beerschot - E.Aalst (III) 3-0
- Woluwe (III) - Zulte Waregem 2-1
- Lierse - Rupel-Boom 4-0
- Club Brugge - Lommel (II) 3-1
- Standard - Antwerp FC (II) 2-1
- Wetteren (II) - Lokeren 2-4
- URS Centre (III) - Anderlecht 2-2 (pen. 1-4)