Anderlecht takes top spot

Sporting Anderlecht has leap-frogged over KRC Genk to top the Belgian First Division. The reigning champions beat bottom club Charleroi 4-1 on Saturday evening. Elsewhere, Standard de Liège beat SK Lierse by a massive 7 goals to 0. The matches between Westerlo and AS Eupen and Cercle Brugge and Germinal Beerschot both ended 1-1.

Sporting Anderlecht is alone at the top of the Belgian First Division for the first time this season.

Despite going behind to Sporting Charleroi through an Onur Kaya (photo) goal on 12 minutes, four second half goals were enough to seal it for the champions.

With the first half having ended 1-0 to Sporting Charleroi, Anderlecht needed to score goals in the second half against a team that had gone down to ten men after Samual Febris had been sent off on 31 minutes.

Jonathan Legaer, who was bought in for Badibanga after the break, was instrumental in De Sutter’s 48th minute equaliser.

Charleroi went down to nine men on 65 minutes when Ederson was given his second yellow card of the game.

This proved to be a turning point with Anderlecht making the most of their two-man advantage to score three goals in the last 18 minutes of the game.

Junior Kabanga made it 2-1 to the champions on 72 minutes with Jonathan Legear widening the score to 3-1 seven minutes later.

Mathias Suarez made it 4-1 to Anderlecht a minute from time.

Saturday’s game also saw the return of Marcin Wasilewski (photo) to the Anderlecht first team.

Wasilewski sustained a double open fracture to his leg during the match between Sporting Anderlecht and Standard de Liège in August 2009.

Sporting Anderlecht now tops the First Division with 37 points from 17 games.

Sporting Charleroi is bottom with just 7 points.

Goals a plenty at Sclessin

Standard de Liège made light work of SK Lierse on Saturday evening.

The Liège team scored no fewer than seven goals and totally humiliated Eric Van Meir’s men.

Axel Witsel opened the scoring for Standard on 13 minutes with another Belgian international, Luigi Pieroni, making it 2-0 on 36 minutes.

The first half ended 3-0 to Standard after Cyriac’s 39th minute goal.

The second half saw Axel Witsel score his second and Standard’s fourth goal of the evening on 55 minutes.

Medhi Carcela made it 5-0 on the hour.

Two further Cyriac goals on 66 and 79 minutes served to make Lierse’s humiliation complete.

Standard is now 4th in the table with 30 points from 17 games.

SK Lierse is second to bottom with 9 points.

Honours even in Westerlo and Bruges

Both Cercle Brugge v Germinal Beerschot and Westerlo v Eupen ended in one-all draws.

AS Eupen took the lead in their match against Westerlo through Kevin Vandenbergh on 33 minutes.

However, a Rachid Farssi (photo) goal on 47 minutes made for a final score of 1-1.

Westerlo is 10th in the table with 24 points from 17 games.

AS Eupen is 14th with 12 points.

Both the goals in Cercle Brugge v Germinal Beerschot came in the second half.

Faris Haroun put the visitors one up on 62 minutes and Germinal Beerschot seemed to be heading for a much needed victory.

However, it was not to be and Cercle’s Frederik Boi equalised five minutes from time to make for a final score of 1-1.

Cercle is now 6th in the league with 26 points from 17 games.

Germinal Beerschot is 13th with 14 points.