Zulte Waregem only winner on Saturday

Four of this weekend’s eight First Division matches were played on Saturday evening. All but the match between Zulte Waregem and Oud Heverlee-Leuven ended in draws. Oud Heverlee-Leuven was unable to repeat the success of its opening game against Anderlecht, losing 2-1 away against Zulte Waregem.

Both Zulte Waregem’s goals came in the first half with Thomas Matton opening the scoring in the first minute and Aleksandar Trajkovski making it 2-0 on 36 minutes.

Oud Heverlee-Leuven’s goal came ten minutes from time through Jordan Remacle.

Despite the narrow victory, the difference in class between the two teams was clear to see.

Despite last weekend’s stunt, Oud Heverlee-Leuven still has a lot of work to do before it reaches the level expected in the First Division.

Genk drops points in Lier

The Belgian Champions Racing Genk got no further than a goalless draw away at SK Lierse.

The home side had the lion’s share of the chances in the first half, although Genk did come more into the game after the break.

Genk’s Kevin De Bruyne (photo) was stretchered off in injury time. There were fears that he may have broken his leg. However, these have since been allayed.

Perbet saves Mons

Newly promoted RAEC Mons managed to take a point from their first away match of the season thanks to a 78th minute goal from Perbet. Earlier the home side, Cercle Brugge, had taken the lead through Rudy.

Cercle dominated the first half, although Mons did have a good chance when Zola’s effort was saved by Verbist (photo).

It was more of the same in the second half and Cercle were good value for the one goal lead they took on the hour. However, once ahead, the West Flemings turned down the heat and disaster struck when substitute Perbet put Mons level.

The Frenchman even had a good chance to put the visitors ahead, but it was not to be and the match ended 1-1.

Rats and Buffaloes share spoils

An eventful match between Beerschot and AA Gent ended in a two-all draw.

Beerschot took the lead on just three minutes through a Kagelmacher penalty.

This didn’t deter the visitors though and AA Gent drew level nine minutes later though Ljubiankic (photo).

Bernd Thijs put the visitors 2-1 up on twenty-one minutes. Both teams went flat out in what was an evenly-balanced match.

There were plenty of chances at both ends. Beerschot equalised twenty minutes from time through Boeckx and although both teams tried hard to get the winning goal the final score remained 2-2.