Magpies too strong for Club Brugge

It was an evening of mixed fortunes for our teams in action in the Europa League on Thursday evening. Club Brugge lost 1-0 away at Newcastle United, while Racing Genk now tops Group G after a 2-1 win at home against Sporting Lisbon.

Club Brugge almost opened the scoring inside the first two minutes when Newcastle United’s Steve Harper just about kept out Maxime Lestienne’s snapshot.

However, Newcastle dominated possession in the first half, but was unable to take the lead. Newcastle called for a penalty when Papiss Cissé was shoved to the ground by Bart Buysse inside the box.

Cissé was later denied a goal thanks to a magnificent save from the Club Brugge keeper Bojan Jorgacevic. A mazy run from Newcastle’s Ameobi also saw him go close, cutting inside off the right-wing, beating three defenders, only to roll his shot wide.

Cissé was once again frustrated by Jorgacevic just before the break. The Club Brugge keeper, clawed Cissé’s shot out of the top corner.
Newcastle though, finally got the goal they needed to ruin the visitors’ game plan as the Ameobi brothers combined to set up Obertan.

The Newcastle substitute Shola, who was brought on for Vurnon Anita at half-time, guided the ball to his younger brother Sammy who, with a superb piece of skill, flicked the ball over his marker, took it down again and sprinted away.

With Brugge players running to surround him, the 20 year-old showed impressive awareness to slide the ball, a split second before he was tackled, on to Obertan (photo), who thumped his shot past Jorgacevic.

The matched ended 1-0 in Newcastle’s favour. The result sees Club Brugge remain third in Group D with 3 points from 3 games. The West Flemings are just a point behind second-placed Bordeaux. Newcastle United tops the group with 7 points.

Genk supporters show solidarity with Ford workers

Before and during Thursday evening’s Europa League match against Sporting Lisbon, the supporters of Racing Genk showed their solidarity with those that will be hit by the closure of the Ford plant in the Limburg town.

Jelle Vossen, whose father works at the doomed factory, created Genk’s first chance of the match just a minute in. However, it was Sporting that took the lead on 7 minutes when the Dutchman Stijn Schaars deflected the goal past the Genk keeper Van Hout.

Genk equalized on the half hour when De Ceulaer headed home a Nadson corner. Sporting Lisbon continued to push forward and Van Hout did well to deny Jeffren.

Anele had a good chance to put Genk 2-1 up early in the second half, but his shot went over. After that Sporting took command Cedric had three shots saved by Van Hout and the Genk keeper also saved another effort by Jefferen.

The turning point came when Sporting Lisbon’s Boulahrouz was given his second yellow card of the evening. With a one-man advantage the Racing Genk Coach Mario Been decided that it was time to bring in an extra attacker in the form of the Israeli Elyaniv Barda. It was Barda that scored the winning goal from a Gorius free-kick.

Genk’s 2-1 win sees the Limburgers lead Group G with 7 points from 3 games.