The 17-year-old was seriously injured in the seaside resort of De Haan. Together with some friends he found some fireworks that had failed to explode during the New Year's Eve display on the beach. The fireworks were lying unexploded on the beach.
Around 11 PM on New Year's Day the youngster wanted to set off the fireworks on the seafront, but something clearly went wrong and the youngster got a rocket in the eye.
He has now lost one eye and will remain partially blind for the rest of his life.
(The fireworks depicted are not those involved in our story.)