A not so super Monday for RSCA and Club Brugge

After the first day of play in Play-off I of Belgian football’s First Division, Sporting Anderlecht’s lead at the top has been cut to just one point. Despite dominating the first half, Anderlecht lost 2-1 at home to KRC Genk. Once again Anderlecht failed to convert a penalty. Earlier Club Brugge's lacklustre performance at home against Standard de Liège saw the West Flemings beaten 2-1.

A below par Club Brugge can think themselves lucky that they were only beaten 2-0 at home by Standard de Liège.

The home side had the first chance of the match, but Bacca’s shot hit the post. Standard’s opening goal came from Michy Batshuayi on 31 minutes after some good work by Ezekiel.

The visitors went into half-time 2-0 up after Yoni Buyens scored on 45 minutes.

Eight minutes into the second half the Club Brugge coach Garrido made a triple substitution, bringing in Meunier, Tchité and Gudjohnsen.

However, this changed little. Standard could have widened their lead with chances for Mpoku and Ajdaezvic just before time. Referee Serge Gumienny had a busy day, handing out no fewer than 9 yellow cards in a sometimes bad-tempered match.

The result sees Standard leap-frog over Club Brugge into fourth place with 28 points. Club Brugge is fifth on 27 points.

Anderlecht throws away lead after poor second half

Sporting Anderlecht threw away the opportunity to go four points clear after a poor second half performance saw them lose 2-1 at home to KRC Genk. Anderlecht dominated the first half and had a near monopoly on chances in front of goal.

Eventually the Dutchman Bram Nuytinck (photo) put Sporting 1-0 up on 37 minutes much to the delight of his national team Coach Louis van Gaal who was watching from the stands.

The second half started where the first had left of with Anderlecht in the driving seat. However, the home side failed to extend their lead. The Genk Coach Mario Been’s decision to bring in Julien Gorius for Kevin Hyland proved to be a turning point.

Kara Mbodj headed in Genk’s equaliser on 66 minutes, while Jelle Vossen (top photo) made it 2-1 to the visitors ten minutes later. Anderlecht had a golden opportunity to draw level when they were awarded a penalty a few minutes from time.

However, Nuytinck’s spot kick was saved Köteles and the score remained 2-1 to Genk. The result sees third-place KRC Genk move up to just three points behind Anderlecht on 31 points.