Man handed caustic detergent instead of glass of water

A 56-year-old man is in a bad way after drinking a caustic detergent at an eatery in Ghent. The punter had asked for a glass of water but was handed a glass of the caustic detergent by accident.

The incident happened in an eatery in the Jan Breydelstraat last night. The punter was taken to hospital. He is in a bad way but not in a life-threatening condition.

The public prosecutor is examining the incident. So far there is no evidence of malicious intent. A staff member is said not to have been aware that a bottle of sparkling water really contained a caustic detergent.

The eatery is closed for now.