Westerlo off the bottom, Standard in the doldrums

In the last of the weekend’s Belgian First Division games Westerlo enjoyed a shock 2-0 home win against Standard de Liège. Later on Sunday evening KV took all three points from their trip to Sint-Truiden with a 3-0 win.

Before Sunday’s game against Standard de Liège Westerlo had been rooted to the bottom of the Belgian First Division for some time.

With just 5 matches to go until decision day, the club from a village in the Kempen area of Antwerp Province needed to starting winning points fast.

Meanwhile, Standard, themselves once bottom of the league still harboured hopes of a place in the top 6 and Play-Off I.

Standard began on the attack, but lacked that finishing touch. Tetteh had a great chance to put the visitors one-up. However, he was unable to put the ball past an alert Westerlo keeper Van Langendonck. Westerlo’s best early chance came from a long-range shot by Lecomte.

Later in the half an alert Van Langendonck stopped a Badibanga effort and Kosanovic failed to head the ball on target for Standard. The half ended goalless.

Dubious penalty for Westerlo, no penalty for Standard

Standard pushed forward early in the second half and almost scored immediately. However, great work on the part of Van Langendonck served to deny Tetteh.

Westerlo took the lead on 53 minutes through De Ceulaer.

Things when from bad to worse for Standard after Westerlo’s Gounongbe went down inside the box (photo) and the match referee awarded Westerlo a penalty on a plate. Gounongbe converted and it was 2-0 to Westerlo on 56 minutes.

Standard claimed a penalty too for hands inside the box by Mustoe. However, he the referee waved play on.

An excellent Van Langendonck diverted Kosanovic header over the bar and Emond’s shot hit the post.

The result sees Westerlo move off the bottom spot. They are now 14th with 26 points from 26 games. Standard are 8th with 34 points. Play-Off I now seems just a far-off dream for them.

Strong KV Mechelen win convincingly

KV Mechelen enjoyed their first win of 2016 with a 3-0 win away at Sint-Truiden.

Sint-Truiden were awarded a penalty after half an hour of play. However, Raman’s spot kick was saved by the KV Mechelen keeper Jean-François Gillet. It was Gillet’s 6th penalty save (out of 8) of the season.

At the other end KV Mechelen deserved a penalty after a foul by Bagayoko. However, it was a case of “see no evil” and the referee waved play on.

KV Mechelen raised their game in the second half and this was rewarded when De Petter put them one up on 53 minutes.

Sint-Truiden created nothing in the way of chances and things when from bad to worse for them when Bagayoko was finally sent off for his second bookable offence of the game. Gillet saved what was pretty much Sint-Truiden’s only chance of the half from Ono.

The counter-attack resulted in Hanni scoring KV Mechelen’s second goal. It was over and out for Sint-Truiden when Claes made it 3-0 in the 2nd minute of stoppage time. KV Mechelen are now 9th in the league with 30 points from 26 games. Sint-Truiden are 11th with 29^points.