Thielemans goal boosts Anderlecht’s title hopes

In Sunday evening’s Play-off I Sporting Anderlecht moved up to within a point of the league-leaders Club Brugge after beating the West Flemings 1-0. In Play-off II Mouscron Péruwelz won 2-0 at home against Standard de Liège.

Anderlecht had managed to get Najar, Acheampong and Dendoncker, all of whom had injury doubts, ready for Sunday evening crucial match against Club Brugge.

Meanwhile, Club Brugge were missing Engels and Refaelov. However, Najar was forced to leave the field with a knee injury after just 15 minutes of play.

The football was below par in the early stages of the game. Club Brugge had the first real chance of the match. However, Vanaken’s shot hit the post.

With the exception of a long-range shot from Defour, there was nothing in the way of chances for Anderlecht until Okaka (photo) shot wide just seconds before the half time whistle.

Thielemans’ goal seals it for Sporting

The second half started sluggishly. Sloppyness by Anderlecht gave Club Brugge a series of chances, none of which they were able to convert into goals.

However, a Vormer goal-attempt that hit the bar served as a wake-up-call for Anderlecht.

Djuricic that had been brought in for the lacklustre Praet was able to get Thielemans’ past Club Brugge’s offside trap. Thielemans’ shot (photo) floored the Brugge keeper Butelle and it was 1-0 to Anderlecht on 61 minutes.

Club Brugge weren’t going to go down without a fight and the victors pushed forward in search of an equaliser. However, Refaelov’s absence meant that they lacked creativity.

Their final and best chance of the half came from Pereira. However, he shot over the score ended 1-0 in Anderlecht’s favour.

Sporting Anderlecht’s flying start to Play-off I put them in second place on 37 points. Club Brugge is first in the Play-off I table with 38 points.

Mouscron victorious in Walloon derby

A first half goal from Hubert (on 6 minutes) and a second half goal from Scepovic (on 56 minutes) were enough to give Mouscron-Péruwelz victory against Standard de Liège.

Once again Standard went a man down after Collins Fai was sent off for his second bookable offence of the game on 60 minutes. Mouscron-Péruwelz lead Play-off II Group A with 5 points from 3 games. Standard is 3rd with 4 points.