Police hope that people will not be deterred, and is encouraging members of the public to come to Brussels. "The weather is fine and there are many activities. Just try to respect our main request: if we ask you something as police officers, listen to us." It's possible that individuals are bodysearched, and it's not a good idea to bring a bag or rucksack. "This may cause queues because we can't take any risks here", says police spokeswoman Ilse Van de Keere.
At the same time, visitors are asked not come to the centre by car, but to take public transport. The stop in the Central Station brings you almost right into the action at the Warandepark and the Paleizenplein opposite the Royal Palace.
Today's main events
- Te Deum - 10am - Saint Michael and Saint Goedele Cathedral
- "Feest in het park" - from 10am - all kinds of festivities in the Warandepark and surrounding area
- Military Parade - 4pm - Paleizenplein
- Resto National - 6pm - Vossenplein - have a giant plate of mussels and chips at a long table (21 euros)
- Fireworks - 11pm - Paleizenplein