The owner of the van noticed that something was wrong when he tried to start it up. He put his vehicle back on the drive of his home. When he opened up the he watched in horror as a bird’s nest and the engine caught fire.
The fire service was called to extinguish the blaze. Fire fighters believe that the bird’s nest had been put under the bonnet by a beech marten and that the creature had been eating its contents after having bitten through a number of pipes, include one that supplied the engine of the van with diesel.
The van was completely burned out in the incident. The owner of the van’s house suffered minor heat damage to its gutter.