26-year-old woman dies of carbon monoxide poisoning

A 26-year-old woman from the East Flemish city of Ghent died of carbon monoxide poisoning at her home on Saturday. Two other residents of the house were taken to hospital for treatment and survived the poisoning.  

The emergency services found three resident of the house on the Jacob van Maertlantstraat unconscious. The carbon monoxide poisoning is believed to have been caused by a badly-functioning heater.     

Paramedics were unable to save a 26-year-old woman. A 30-year-old woman and a 25-year-old man were taken for treatment to the Onze-Lieve-Vrouw Hospital in Aalst (East Flanders). There they were put into a special decompression chamber. They were allowed to leave hospital on Saturday evening.   

The exact circumstances surrounding the carbon monoxide poisoning are the subject of aan investigation being carried out by the East Flemish Judicial Authorities.  

Top stories