A contractor was cleaning out a silo for Pouleyn where a small fire had raged on Thursday. When workers opened a hatch oxygen came into contact with inflammable sawdust causing an explosion at around 7:30am.
Four people were injured in the explosion, three of whom suffered third degree burns. Two of the injured were taken to the specialist burns unit at Ghent University Hospital. The two other injured workers were taken to a hospital in Kortrijk. One of the victims has since died. Due to the seriousness of the burns it is not yet clear who the victims are.
The Mayor of Anzegem Gino Devogelaere (local list) is shocked by what has happened. “We don’t know who the victims are. They have to clear up the silo every so often. There was a fire yesterday, but it wasn’t serious. This is terrible news”.