Blaze closes Michelin star restaurant The Jane

Fire broke out at the Flemish Michelin star restaurant The Jane in Antwerp on Saturday.  The fire started in the air extraction system in the kitchen.  The restaurant was evacuated as a precaution.

The Jane is operated by Sergio Herman and Nick Bril.  Head chef Nick Bril started to extinguish the fire.  The fire service took over when they arrived and soon had matters under control.  Fortunately nobody was injured, but damage is considerable.

"It was a chimney fire" says Nick Bril.  "I tried to put it out using a fire extinguisher, then the fire service took over."

Fifty staff members and some one hundred guests were led out of the building.

Nick Bril: "The kitchen ceiling and one side are damaged.  There's smoke and water damage to equipment like dishwashers”.

"All the food is being taken out of the kitchen.  We're going to close for two weeks and then we have a two-week holiday.  We've got four weeks to repair everything."

The Jane is located in the chapel of a former military hospital.  It opened in 2014 and now boasts two Michelin stars.  There is a long waiting list for guests.  The interior designed by architect studio Piet Boon was awarded "Best Overall Restaurant" in the International Restaurant & Bar Design Awards in 2015.

Top stories