Life sentence for Jewish Museum attacker

The man convicted last week of having carried out the attack on the Jewish Museum in Brussels in 2014 in which 4 people were killed has been given a life sentence. Sentence was passed by a court in Brussels on Monday evening. On learning of his sentence Nemmouche told the court “life goes on”. 

Medhi Nemmouche’s accomplice Nacer Bendrer, also a French national, was sentenced to 15 years in prison. Bendrer told the court "I am ashamed to be here ... I am ashamed to have crossed paths with this guy. He is not a man, he is a monster."

The families of victims and survivors of the attacks voiced relief at the end of a two-month-long jury trial was not without controversy due to what they denounced as conspiracy theories put forward by Nemmouche's defence lawyers.

33-year-old Nemmouche staged the attack after coming back from Syria. The attack in May 2014 was the first by a Western European who fought with Islamist forces in Syria.

In the shooting an Israeli tourist couple, Myriam and Emmanuel Riva, and two employees of the museum, Dominique Sabrier and Alexandre Strens were killed.

During the high-profile trial, the two French journalists had testified that they remembered Nemmouche as deeply anti-Semitic, sadistic and full of hatred.

Defence lawyers, who had alleged that prosecutors doctored video footage of the attack and that Nemmouche was framed in a settling of accounts between spies including Mossad agents, said he would not appeal the sentence.