Although fire-fighters manage to extinguish the blaze the Mayor of Erpe-Mere Hugo De Waele (Christian democrat) told VRT News “The company has been completely gutted, everything has been lost”.
The fire started at around 3am at Hako, a company specialised in industrial cleaning machines. The fire was finally brought under control at around 8am. Local residents were obliged to keep their windows and doors closed.
However, Mayor De Waele told VRT News that “No toxic materials were released during the fire and there is no danger to health”. "The fire is under control, but the building has been completely gutted”, the Mayor added.