Anderlecht in the doldrums, fans furious

Sporting Anderlecht’s poor start to Play-off I continued on Sunday evening with at 1-2 home defeat at the hands of RFC Antwerp. The result leaves the 34-times league champions with 0 points from their first 3 Play-off I games, their worst ever start since the play-off system was introduced in the 2009-2010 season. If things continue in this vein there is a very real danger that the club will fail to qualify for European competition for the first time in 55 years

With this in mind there were angry scenes after the match. Inside the stadium fans jeered and gesticulated at the players that went to great them after the final whistle.

A little later there were angry scenes as the main gate was stormed by a group of supporters calling for the resignation of Anderlecht’s Chairman Marc Coucke, who took over the club just over a year ago.

On the field Anderlecht took the lead on 33 minutes through Pieter Gerkens. However, their joy was short-lived as Antwerp equalised 6 minutes later through Lamkel Ze and the half ended 1-1. In the second half it was none other than Dieumerci Mbokani (photo below, left) that dealt the deathblow to his former club with a great goal on the rebound.

The Anderlecht faithful applauded Mbokani’s goal even though it was against the team they support. With 7 minutes plus stoppage time left, Anderlecht saw any attempt they made to push forward come up against Antwerp’s defensive ring of steel.

The match ended 1-2 in Antwerp’s favour. The result leaves RSC Anderlecht 5th in Play-off I with 26 points. This is 5 points less than 4th-placed Antwerp.

Injury time goal earns three points for Charleroi

A goal form substitute Jérémy Perbet in the first minute of injury time was enough to ensure Sporting Charleroi of all three points in their Play-off II Group A match away at KAS Eupen. The result sees Charleroi move up to 4th place with 3 points from 3 games. KAS Eupen are 5th, also with 3 points but with an inferior goal difference. 

Top stories