The five are all Palestinians. The others are aged 19, 20, 21 and 24. They will appear before an examining judge next Tuesday, and are facing charges of hostage taking and murder.
The boy, Daniel, was staying in the open asylum centre in Broechem (Ranst) with his mother. Family of the victim told several media that they were being extorted with an SMS on their phone, which said that they had to come up with 100,000 euros if they wanted to see the boy back alive. The judicial authorities have refused an official confirmation of this story so far.
Meanwhile, it has been revealed that the Broechem asylum centre has seen more incidents lately than other reception centres. The Christian trades union says it's not always about heavy incidents, but that there is a problem. Fedasil, the federal service responsible for the asylum centres, admits there have been problems, but not more than in other places.