- Between 13 and 19 March an average of 187 corona patients had to be taken to hospital each day, a rise of 26 percent on the week. Yesterday, hospitals across Belgium reported 182 new patients, compared to 208 on Thursday.
- This brings the number of corona patients in Belgian hospitals to 2,153 (+13). 550 of them need special treatment in intensive care (+7), 310 of them (+13) are on ventilators. Belgian hospitals can make a total of about 1,000 beds available in intensive care; experts are afraid this milestone could be reached around mid-April if the present hike continues. Care for patients with other problems is already being postponed at present. Four weeks ago, 'only' 315 patients were on in intensive care.
- An average of 3,438 new cases per day were confirmed between 10 and 16 March, a rise of 36 percent on the week. More testing is being done, but the number of people testing positive has also risen to 7.2 percent.
- The number of fatalities was at 24 corona patients per day between 10 and 16 March, a slight drop on the week.
- 903,656 Belgians have been vaccinated so far. Almost 420,000 of them have received a second jab. The vaccination percentage among Belgian adults is around 10 percent now. In Britain, 50 percent of the adult population has already received a first jab.